Thursday, June 06, 2019

 

Thoughts on my 50th High School Reunion.

Duncanville High School class of '69 had our 50th class reunion last weekend.  So here are a few reactions.

There were lots of old people there.  I thought I was in the wrong place till someone called out my name.  Pretty stark reminder that life happens a lot faster than you realize. 

Most of my classmates are retired.  And a lot of them are trying to figure out what to do now.  Grandkids, hobbies, travel.  Really appreciated the ones who are being intentional about doing something significant with their golden years.

Pretty neat to see how many of my classmates are active believers.  Lots of affirmation for what I do.  Even from the ones surprised I am a preacher.  Evidently, preachers are supposed to be very serious.  Evidently, I was not very serious in school.  But also affirming to hear them say of course, not surprised, or I can totally see that.

Hurt to hear stories of how hard life has been for some.  Sickness, loss of mates, job crisis, child crisis, bad choices.

Also interesting to hear stories of faith, perseverance, and healing.  And how they learned to overcome.

Personality and character last.  Funny people were still funny.  Nice people were still nice. Smart people were still smart.  Just a reminder of what really lasts.

And of course it was fun to see Marsha interact with people that knew me before she did.

First girl she met immediately expressed her sympathy for the woman who married me.  But at least she laughed afterward.  :)  Another one told her it must so much fun living with me every day. At least Marsha laughed.

So all in all, I realized I was pretty proud of my class.  Lots of high achievers.  Most of those did not surprise me at all.

So people have asked if I saw any old girlfriends.  No.  But thanks for assuming I could have had a girlfriend in High School. 

Some ask if I got all nostalgic about what might have been the best years of my life.  Nope.  They were good years but these are the best years of my life.

And some asked if it made me think about getting old.  Nope.  I just don't think in those terms.  I know I am old.  I just don't think that way.

So any regrets?  I do wish I had done a better job of keeping up over the years.  I do wish I had done a better job of telling my friends how much I appreciated them.  And I wish I had been even more intentional about talking about Jesus. 

But all in all, well done to my classmates.  I am proud of you.  Your careers.  Your marriages.  Your kids and grandkids.   And I am especially proud of the believers among us. 

And if any of my classmates see this and wish you knew more about following Jesus, nothing would make Marsha and I happier than to sit down and have a conversation.  We'll even drive from Abilene to meet you.
 
So see you at our 55th.  And I'll have another fun time.  Unless I am already in heaven.

And then I'll be having an even better time.



Comments:
How about the grande reunion in heaven...so looking forward to that one...😎🙏❤😊
 
You expressed the same thoughts and emotions I felt last weekend at my 50th. Right on!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?