Tuesday, July 02, 2019

 

My son Joe Don had a birthday, so...

My son Joe Don turned 41 the other day and here a few of my thoughts about sons, birthdays, and what matters.

I love him for the thousands of great memories.  Fishing, hunting, playing ball, wrestling when he was small.  Going to the zoo.  Roofing.  Well, not so much the roofing but the working together.  Vacations.

Baptizing him.  Hearing him preach.  Watching him grow into a passionate Christ follower.  Seeing him be an amazing husband.  Seeing his kids blessed by the way he raises them. 

Lots of laughs. 

But here is the thing.

I am not near as happy about the past as I am about the future.

Every Dad wants their son to be a better man than they were -- or even are.  Check.

But I am so excited to see what the future holds for Joe Don.  There are kingdom and Jesus works coming that will be greater than I can imagine.

Can't wait to see the incredible way he continues to raise Anna, Andrew, and Austin.

I get to watch their laughter.  See him baptize his kids.  All over again I get to enjoy the fishing, sports, and life.

And he adopts all his kids friends.  He is that Dad.  Funny, aware, God focused, cool.  He is the crazy uncle that makes every gathering fun.  And the one you can call if you ever need help.

And someday he will lead our extended family.  He will be the go-to guy.  He will be -- and in some ways already is -- the leader.  And he is great at it.

Because above all, he knows who he is.  And whose he is. 

So to adapt the words God spoke about his son...

This is my son Joe Don.  I love him and I am proud of him.  He is worth listening to.

So thanks God for JD.  You have done so much in his life.  Continue to bless him, protect him, and use him for your glory.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?