Tuesday, August 20, 2019

 

Be like Nettie

Nettie Blaisdell died last week at the age of 104.  You probably never met her.  Might never of even heard of her.  But you need to be like her and here is why.

She lived a long time.  I don't mean her years here on earth.  She was a Christian so I think she is still living, but I am really thinking about how her influence is still going strong.  And will for a long, long time.

She raised two children who are faithful Christians.  And they raised kids who are now raising kids.  Lot of spiritual heritage in her generations.

She helped raise me in a way.  Her son Richard and I were best friends.  Met in the church nursery at the old Trinity Heights church in Dallas.  I spent a lot of time in her home.  It was a great place to hang out.  She and her husband Walter were quiet people, which I'm sure made it exhausting to have me as part of their family.  But they always put up with me, made me feel welcome, modeled Jesus.  And I have faithful kids and grandkids.  Thanks Nettie.

Richard is a preacher like I am.  We have touched a lot of lives, many of whom never heard of Nettie.  And if you add in Charles Smith, another preacher that is an "honorary" Blaisdell, you have even more of her influence.  Thanks for always believing in us and encouraging us.

She taught Bible class (usually the nursery class) for ... well , who knows.  Seventy or eighty years. 
That's a lot of babies to be held, sung to, and prayed over.

She would hate this blog.  Would say she never did anything special.  Wouldn't want any attention or fuss.

Just wanted to follow Jesus and do what she could.  With her life and in her home.

She died in the Lord and she is blessed.  Her work here is over, but her deeds will follow her.  For a long, long time.  Forever even.

Thanks God for Nettie Blaisdell.  Thank you for her example for me and for Richard, and so many others.  Thank you for giving us someone to love us, pray for us, and always encourage us to follow you and to tell others about you.  Give us more Netties.

Comments:
Thank you Steve. You captured the essence of our mom. Love, Linfa
 
Steve,
Thank you so much for this beautiful tribute to our mom, Meme, as we called her. That's what Marsha is called to, isn't it? Good name. My mom was the most humble and unselfish and servant-hearted person I've ever known. What a blessing to have had her for 104 years and in good health, physically and mentally right up to the last week. God was so good to her. I remember well those days of playing baseball cards with you in the floor over at 1812 Maryland street, then eating some of her good cooking. We were both blessed with great parents. So glad to hear your mom is nearby to you in Abilene and going strong. Please give her my love. Thanks again Steve! Love you!
Blessings, Richard
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?