Tuesday, October 15, 2019

 

What a visit to the Grand Canyon taught me about God

So Marsha and I went to the Grand Canyon recently.  Bucket list trip.  Stayed in the Park.  Hiked.  A lot.  Saw a lot of different views.  Yes it was amazing.  Yes it was overwhelming.  Sensory overload. So easy to sit in awe and just look.  Easy to hike for hours just looking.

Of course it was an incredible reminder of the Creator of the Universe.  Easy to just break out in prayer and praise.  Usually Marsha prayed.  I sang.

Here are a few of the things I felt that I hope I never forget.

God is awesome and huge.  I sometimes can get frustrated with the politics and power struggles in local congregations.  The God that can make the Grand Canyon is way bigger than anything I face here.

It was a perspective I needed.

I want to remember always just how big my God is.

It was also really helpful for me to dream big again.  God tells us he can do immeasurably more than we can ask or imagine.  Seeing the Grand Canyon reminded me that God created something way bigger than I could have ever imagined.  So I need to dream bigger.  For God.  He can -- and will -- do more.

And it was helpful to realize I am not that big a deal.  Hard to be full of yourself while at the Grand Canyon.  Not that big a deal here either.  And don't have to be.  I just have to be ready and available for God to use me up.  Fifty years from now not many people will even remember me.  Maybe my grandkids.  100 years from now no one will remember the sermons or the books.

Most of the congregations I have loved and worked for and in will probably be gone.

But the God that made the Grand Canyon sees me as amazing and magnificent.  Because of his Son.  And He will know and remember what I did in His service.  For his kingdom.

I didn't even see all the Grand Canyon.  Amazing things that I didn't even get a glimpse of.  Just like the Kingdom of God.  So much I have not seen or know about.

So go God.  And thanks for the Grand Canyon.  And for making me and so many others into something grander than we could have ever imaged.  Thru your Son.

You do good work.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?