Tuesday, January 07, 2020

 

Glenda, West Freeway, and Goldie

I was reminded last week that we live in a fallen world. 

My connection with the West Freeway church of Christ goes way back.  When I came to Southern Hills as a college student, Clem Thurman was the preacher.  He later preached at White Settlement church of Christ.  His son David later preached there.  I spoke there several times.  White Settlement was one of three congregations that came together to form West Freeway.  When they had their celebration dinner to kick off the merger, I spoke for it.  So when I heard of the shooting it hit close to home.  I know lots of church goers in Fort Worth, including my son and his family.  So sad for the church.  Hurting for the families of the two members killed.  Thankful for the testimonies I heard about their lives of faith and the hope of heaven.  Hurting for the gunman killed.  Wish he had been open to getting more than just food on his previous visits.  Wish he had sought Jesus.  Britt Farmer, the preacher, and I know each other from preaching circles. 

Sin, faith, evil, forgiveness, pain, hope.  All mixed together.

Glenda Hilliard.  I helped do her funeral Thursday.  Met the Hilliards when they moved to Abilene in 1972.  Had David and Debra in my youth group.  Watched them grow up.  Watched their kids grow up.  Glenda and Carolyn Smith did the reception at our wedding.  Did the reception at Marsha's folks 50th anniversary.  She served more meals, hosted more showers, sent more encouragement cards than anyone I have ever known.  Never wanted to be recognized.  Just wanted to serve. 

Faith, love, service, death, hope.

Goldie Aldridge.  Got to do her celebration service Friday.  Big family.  Met the family around her table before the funeral.  It was a long table.  Very festive.  And the coffee was on.  Reminded me of God's table for us.  Big table so everyone is welcome and there is always room.  A place of love, acceptance, and laughter.  Always ready for people to show up. 

Celebration of life much more than mourning death.

So I thought a lot about different things last week.

Death is real.  It can be unexpected.  It is a fallen world where evil is real.

Faith wins.  It wins in death.  Faith is ready to meet death. 

This world is not my home.

Hope of heaven.   

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?