Thursday, February 13, 2020

 

What I Learned about Repentance from the Houston Astros

So the Houston Astros won a World Series the year they cheated.  They were not the only team that cheated, and they may have been good enough to win without cheating.  So if I am an Astro fan then everyone is making way more out of this than they should.  If I am a fan of most other teams, we got cheated.

So I listened to the Astros owner, Jim Crane, make a statement.  He basically said it was the manager and general manager who were at fault and they have been fired.  He really didn't know anything so should not be held accountable.  They won because none of the cheating really affected the game anyhow.  And so forth and so on.

I listened to a baseball team owner basically take no responsibility for the cheating done. 

So it made me think about sin, repentance, and confession.

"It may have been wrong, but it really wasn't my fault." 

"It was the fault of someone else."

"Everyone else is doing it."

"It is not as bad as everyone is making it out to be."

God is a God of grace, mercy, and forgiveness.  If we confess our sins, he will forgive them.  He will restore us.

But confessions and repentance must be genuine.

So here are the four things I think God wants to hear from us when we sin.

I did it.

It was wrong.

I am sorry.

I am going to take action to see that I do not do this again.

There it is.  No excuses.  No blaming someone else.  No acting as if it is no big deal.

So in the long run, a baseball cheating scandal really does not matter.  They Astros will never be accorded the respect they seek for winning a World Series.  But I doubt anyone cares 1000 years from now. 

But sin does matter.  And I want God to know my heart.  Confession and repentance.

I did it.

It was wrong.

I am sorry.

I am being active to see that I change.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?