Thursday, March 12, 2020

 

What Does Faith over Fear Really Mean

Faith over fear.

You hear this statement from Christians during times of crisis.  So with everything going on with Corona virus, this is the time for Christians to make some decisions about how they live in this world.

Full disclosure:  I have flown the last two weekends and I am flying this weekend.  All church events.  All talking about how to share your faith.  Timely.  Important.

Faith over fear does not mean carelessness.  I do not think God expects us to be foolish.  So I don't think normal precautions are to be ignored.  I wash my hands, carry hand sanitizer, and Marsha has attached a packet of wet wipes to my pack. I don't lick handrails or drink after strangers. 

Faith over fear does not mean we are not aware of risk.  I am very aware that I am at a higher risk of exposure.  I am old and I fly.  And my Mom is 89 and lives in a Retirement Center.  My girls are both nurses and one works in a hospital.  As do several other relatives.  Faith is not some simplistic hope that God is going to spare us all from any sickness.  I do ask for his protection and do expect it. 

But faith means that what ever happens, God is in control.  He has commanded his people to not be afraid.  And so we choose faith. 

If I get sick, God is in control.

If I die, God is in control.

If my loved ones get sick, God is in control.

If my loved ones die, God is in control.

If we do not get sick, God is in control.

And even choosing faith does not mean that we are never afraid.  For ourselves and others.  Even of death.

It does mean that we choose to practice faith instead of give in to fear.

My wife Marsha is nervous about me flying.  And is packing my suitcase as we speak. Faith over fear. 

My daughter is a single Mom.  Makes things more scary.  She is working at her hospital today.  Faith over fear.

If they start cancelling church services, we will have church in our living room and invite the whole neighborhood.  Faith over fear.

So if I get sick and die... I go to heaven and wait for everyone else to join me.

Faith over fear.

Choose faith. 

Comments:
Steve, great message! Faith is an easy word to claim; a stronger word to hold. Thank you for reminding us to believe what we believe
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?