Tuesday, April 07, 2020

 

How Cousin Camp prepared me to face Covid-19

Mimi and I put on Cousin's Camp every year for our five grands.  Lots of fun, a few fights, lots of eating, and family worship every night.  Every kid says something good about the others.  We all pray in a big circle.  One of the other things we do is memorize a Bible verse.

A few years ago we memorized Joshua 1:9 and I find myself repeating it more and more these days.

Have I not commanded you?  Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord you God will be with you wherever you go."

Tough news every day.

My Mom lives in a Retirement Center.  Not only can we not visit (or can she get out to visit us) but they announced today no more eating in the dining room.  No more playing games.  Going to be really tough on her and her group of friends.

My daughter works at a hospital in the O.R. department.  She has working some in the E.R.  Now she is going to have to work in I.C.U.  She's a single Mom.

One of my best friends can't see his wife.  She is in an Alzhiemer's unit and he is not allowed in.

Doing Bible studies by Zoom or Marco Polo is not the same.

Praying over the phone or from the front yard is not the same.

A traveling preacher is not supposed to be home this time of year.

And they keep telling Marsha and I that we are in a vulnerable demographic.  Old.

I know some with Covid-19.  I will know more.  Chances are I will know someone who will die from it.

I mask up and glove up to go to the store.  And yes we go.  Today we shopped for 4 or 5 people who needed help or support.

So every day I remember to be strong.  In my faith.  In my service.

Every day I remind myself to be courageous.  Not stupid.  But brave.

I read not be terrified.  God has got me and my loved ones in his care.  No matter what.

I will not be discouraged.  God is doing great things in the midst of this pandemic.  People will be stronger disciples.  People will come to Jesus.

All because the Lord my God is with me.

After all, what is the worst thing that can happen?  I die and go where I have been wanting to go for all my life.  Heaven.

So till then, I believe God has things for me -- and you -- to do.  So let's be strong and courageous.  Let's not be terrified or discouraged.

God commanded it.

Joshua 1:9.  I guess that verse at Cousin's Camp was not just for the kids.  It was for me too.

Comments:
Hello Bro. Steve. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. Iam also blessed and feel privileged and honoured to get connected with you as well as know you who love Jesus and about your interest in preaching. I was encouraged by your blog post and the verse through which God spoke to you when the whole world is under the threat of COVID-19 which has so far taken 100.000 lives all over the world. The world has come to stand still. Do not know how many lives it will take before the impact of it disappears. Our church these days right from the beginning of this year has focussed on the verse which comes from 2nd Chronicles 7:14 " If my people who are called by my name humble themselves and pray and seek my face and trun away from their wicked ways then will I hear them from heaven and forgive their sin and heal their land". The most damage to the lives has been done to America by the manece of COVID-19. It is time for America and all the people of God around the globe to trun to God humble, pray seek His face and turn away from wickedness. I belive God only can control this damage by COVID-19.
Well I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 40 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. WE also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have young people from your family,friends or church circle come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. I am sure they will have a life changing experience. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you your family and friends also wishing you a blessed and a Christ centered rest of the year 2020. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?