Tuesday, May 05, 2020

 

I Can't Believe in a God who...

I hear people make that statement sometimes.  "I can't believe in a God who... " and then it is followed by something they believe strongly in.  It may be something about morality.  Life and marriage issues.  It may be something cultural.  Social justice or economic justice.  It might be a worship issue or something theological. 

But I cringe every time I hear that statement.

One reason is because God is often blamed for things He never taught or said.  Sometimes churches teach things not found in God's Word.  Or fail to teach what is correct.  Or maybe an individual Christian said something about what God wants and it is just not correct.  If you are ever going to make a definitive statement about God then please be sure you can prove it by looking at the book He gave us. 

And frankly, some of the things I have heard Christians claim about God point to a God I couldn't believe in either.  So be careful.

But here is the other part of that statement that concerns me.  There are things that are true about God that do not conform to some people's core convictions.  But here is the thing.  God won't change for you.  He does not ask what you think is right and acceptable and then adapt to your belief system. 

God is God.  You choose to adapt and conform to him, not the other way around.  I have occasionally said to someone that I am sorry they feel that way.  That I hope they will continue to think about God and that I hope one day they come to see him for who he really is.  But no one gets to remake God into their image.

Idols.  A god that is no God.  god the way I want.  Who accepts what I want.  Who condemns what I am against. 

God is God.  He loves you more than you can imagine.  So much that he sent his Son to die for your sins so you could live with him forever.

But God defines holiness.  He defines love.  He decides who lives with him forever and who does not. 

So be sure you have a clear view of the real God.  Not the idol god of some religions, but the real God.  Then decide if you believe in Him or not.  It is a choice.

Just decide based on reality.  And understand the consequences of your choice.

Choose wisely.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?