Tuesday, July 28, 2020

 

Preaching, Writing, Stealing, Jesus, and Ethics

It is a difficult job to produce content about Jesus.  Sermons, classes, articles, books, videos.  Biblical, engaging, motivating, true, inspiring.  Fresh.  Writer's block.  Saturday night panic.  Deadline pressure.  Desperate for an idea, a topic, an illustration.  

So let me say a couple of things about stealing from other preachers.  It happens all the time.

Many times it is an accident.  You are really influenced by a writer or preacher.  You end up sounding much like they do.  And it may not even be conscious.  You may not even remember where you heard something that really influenced your thinking.  So it comes out in your preaching and writing.  I even understand preacher exaggeration and spin.  

And after all, most of what we are communicating has been talked about for thousands of years.  So it becomes easy to "steal" material.  

I appreciate preachers who give credit to those whose ideas they use.  Citing sources.  Or even "I heard somewhere", "I don't remember where I read this ', or even "you may have heard about...".  

But what about preaching material that is clearly not yours.  It has become trendy among some preachers to get sermons off the internet and preach them as if they were yours.  And not tell anyone.  

I was once sitting in the audience when a famous preacher (much more famous than I will ever be) told a story about an incident with his grandmother.  At first I thought he had a grandmother much like mine because I had told a story from my life like that one many times in my preaching.  By the time he got to the end of the story, it was identical to mine.  I realized I was listening to someone tell my story as if it was theirs.  He did not have to give me credit of course (may have just heard a college kid and not even known who I was), but he could have at least said "it is like the grandmother I once heard about...".  So I went up to him afterward and asked about the story.  He did not deny it, just said it was much more powerful told in the first person.  And that the ends justified the means.  He lied.  And justified it.  

And you would be amazed how many famous Christian authors do not write their own books.  Some of them acknowledge this.  Even give credit to their writers. Others treat ghost written books as if they were the actual author.  

I do not have a problem with "stealing" material.  Or with having someone write your books.  As long as there is honesty and transparency.  But I think there is a line that cannot be crossed.  That is unethical.  I would even say it negates the message if you are found out.  

So to preachers, writers, speakers.  As Jesus followers we have to be honest.  I get the pressure.  Deadlines, overwhelming speaking responsibilities, taking on more than you should.  I live with it every day.  And I know sometimes it is a fine line.  So be careful.

But there is a line.  There is a right and wrong.  

You are better than that.  Your people deserve better.  So does Jesus.

So let's all try a little harder to do the right thing in the right way.

Do not take credit for what is not yours. 

As for me, well...  you always know most of my stuff is original.  If I were going to steal, I would get better stuff than this.  :)

    

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?