Thursday, July 30, 2020

 

Three things to make your day better

It is hard not to be discouraged and depressed these days.  Worry about Covid.  Stress over school.  Social isolation.  No church worship.  Well, at least in terms of real fellowship.  No hugs.  No visits.  No singing by each other.  Money pressure.  Job insecurity.  

And all of that before I see the news and look at Facebook.  Fear.  Worry.  Depression.

So I want to suggest three things that will really help start your day better.  Setting a better tone if you will.

First is thankful prayers.  I do pray about my worries.  And I have a long list of requests.  But I making it a point when I wake up to go over all the things I am thankful for, and that is a really long list.  I have way more to be thankful for than I do things to worry about.  Not the least of which is that my sins are forgiven and death will not be the end for me.  But I have food.  I have a great family.  Great friends.  My dogs.  I am still healthy.  Right now I have a job.  Our neighborhood takes care of each other.  You get the idea.

Praise time.  Listen to some uplifting music.  It is easy to find and so much better than listening to the news/fake news/uninformed news/wrong news they thought was right/right news that is wrong the next day.  You get the idea.  I am partial to Mercy Me, Big Daddy Weave, and contemporary praise.  I like Praise and Harmony.  It helps center your mind on better things.

Listen to a short devo.  I am currently listening to Richard Blaisdell, Chris McCurley, and Tim Archer.  But there are lots of good, short, uplifting things out there.  I even have a YouTube Channel.  So check it out.  The point being that these will center your heart each day.

There are more things I could mention.  I read at least a chapter a day in my Bible.  I try to make one phone call to someone who needs to visit.  I try to send at least one encouraging text.  I actively seek out opportunities to do something for someone.  I intentionally seek opportunities to ask people if we can talk about Jesus stories.  And I try to spend some time with people that positive and uplifting.

The point is... you will be impacted by what you focus on.  So I skip a lot of posts on Facebook.  I look for Jesus and puppies and families on Facebook.  Not politics, conspiracies, and gloom.  

I think the three practices above will help you keep your eyes and heart on what matters.

Go God.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?