Thursday, August 20, 2020

 

A few things I believe about the Bible

 I believe the Bible is true.  All of it.  I think the Old Testament and New Testament were written by the same God.  And He does not change.  I believe Jesus and Paul agree.  If I think they do not, the problem is not in the Bible.  It is in my understanding of the Bible.

You can understand the Bible.  You.  Read it.  Sure, some things are hard to understand.  But most of it is not.  There are common elements of God's story that are repeated over and over again.  

You can teach the Bible.  Just study it. You do not have to have a preacher explain it.  They can sure help, but they are not essential.  At least professional preachers.  I believe the Kingdom of God is about to explode and that growth will be led by "lay" preachers.  Living rooms.  Small groups.  Maybe the best thing preachers could do is not to try and get everyone to hear them, but to train a bunch of others that have friends that will listen.

If God wanted to be clear about something, He would have made it clear.  Be wary of anyone who tells you God didn't say it but here is what He meant.

If God said it, be very careful about saying He didn't mean it.  

If it comes down to what I believe the Bible teaches, that is more important to me than what any culture, any preacher, or any church believes.  

Those of us who claim to teach God's will are going to be help accountable for what we teach.

I may be wrong.  Obviously I don't think I am wrong, but I could be.  So study for yourself.  Even if I am the teacher. 

I believe God is way bigger than the Bible.  But I do think the Bible is his word.

The Holy Spirit does not contradict himself.  

Neither will Jesus.  Or God.

We don't read the Bible enough.  Kudos to the churches that have Scripture reading in the assembly.

It is not a sermon without the Bible. 

The Bible is the story of God's love for us.  It is not a series of proof texts about doctrine.

The more people get angry about things, the less Bible is in the conversation.

The more arrogant people get about things, the less Bible is in the discussion.

I think the Bible is clear on the core things.  And yes, I believe some things in Scripture are more important than others.  I will draw lines over those things.

We can agree to disagree on some things in Scripture.  Because none of us are right on everything.

Finally, we do not study the Bible enough.  

Let's do better.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?