Tuesday, September 22, 2020

 

Who Do You Think You Are Anyway?

 Let me get this on the table right off.  Of course I have an ego.  Every preacher I have ever known has an ego.  Every one.  How else could you possibly stand in front of people and claim to tell them what God wants them to hear.  And of course I have an ego to have a YouTube channel.  How else could you expect people to watch you on video?  By the way, feel free to subscribe.  I guess just search for Steve Ridgell.  See how I worked that in -- ego.

Or how could I write two books without an ego?  Not counting the three I have co-authored with Tim Archer.  Surely ego gets a pass if you co-write.  

And I have an ego or I would not write a blog.  This blog.

So here is the deal. Ego is not the problem.  Keeping it healthy and in check is the problem.

How do you know the difference between ego and power trips?  out of control ego?

Here are the three things I do.

Try and make sure everything I say or write is based in Scripture.  Including what I say about ego.  So I pay attention to what Paul said in I Corinthians 11:1  follow me as I follow Christ.  Or, Romans 12:3 to not think more highly of yourself than you ought. Colossians  3:17 Everything I do and say should done in the name of the Lord.  Not the name of Steve.

Remember that I have not always been right.  I have had a lot of ideas that ended up not being very helpful.  Including some I had implemented at different churches.  And some ideas I tried to stop ended up being really effective.  Of course, some times I was right.  But it helps keep your ego in check to remember you were not always right.  

Have spiritual people around you who are honest.  My wife is the best one at this.  She knows me, she loves me, and she really does think I have insightful things to say and write.  But she is also not afraid to point out when it is my ego talking.  I have a small group and a couple of best friends who can do that also.  

Pay attention to the God winks.  When a church calls you about their pulpit vacancy and you realize they are not asking you, but asking if you know anyone that might be interested.  

Take out the trash.  Clean the toilet.  Pick up the dog poop.  Keeps your ego in check. 

And above all, I try to always remember that I am nothing without Jesus.  Everything I am and every good thing I do is because of his grace. 

 



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?