Thursday, October 22, 2020

 

So How Do I Know what the Bible Means?

 Since I wrote last time about churches splitting over different views of how to read Scripture, I thought I might share a few ideas for how to read Scripture.  

let me get this out of the way first.  I believe Scripture is inspired by the Holy Spirit and He did not make mistakes.  I believe the Holy Spirit can work to ensure adequate translation. I do not think Scripture contradicts itself.  I do not think you have Old Testament vs. New Testament.  Or Jesus vs. Paul.  

I believe some Scripture is hard to understand.  But so did Peter, so...  

I think if it matters to God, He made it clear.  

I think Scripture was written to people at a certain time and place, but I do not think that means Scripture was true only for them then and there. 

So here are a few suggestions.

Read Scripture.  Study yes, but read it.  I am amazed how many people debate what Scripture means without actually reading it.  

You do not have to have a degree or be a professional to understand Scripture.  There is much insight to be gained from educated Bible scholars, but God never intended for Scripture to have to be filtered by professionals in order to understand it.

Never be afraid to study for yourself and in groups.  If all your Bible study comes in sermon and a class or two per week, you are never going to know what God says to you.  And if you ever have a church or a preacher or a parent discourage you from studying and thinking about Scripture on your own or in a group, find a healthier church or preacher.

Listen to lots of teachers.  With the internet, there is a lot of poor teaching out there.  But it is easier than ever to find healthy teaching.

Stay humble.  No one is right about everything.  I think I am right about things or I wouldn't believe what I do.  But I constantly study.  I may be wrong.

The Bible is always the best commentary on the Bible.  Trying to decide important matters on the basis of one verse is a dangerous practice.  

The Bible is not a proof text.  And it was not written to prove you are right.

If the Bible teaches something different than you believe, then it is you that is wrong.

But isn't up to us as a community of faith to decide what the Bible means?  I think there is great value in community study and discernment.  However, community discernment means we all have a voice in the discussion.  All of us.

The Bible is not God.  Or Jesus.  Or the church.  It does not save us.  

But it is God's message to us.  Exactly as He wanted it.



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?