Tuesday, January 26, 2021

 

Thinking about Jesus and alcohol

 People sometimes ask about my views on Christians and alcohol. No position to take, but here are a few things I think about concerning Jesus and drinking.

Jesus turned water into wine.

The Lord's Supper had wine. 

Christians are not to get drunk.

Elders are not to be heavy drinkers, even of wine.

I think there is a difference between wine, beer, and hard liquor.

Alcohol is an easy addiction to fall into.  And hard to overcome.

I have seen a lot of Christians spend years battling this demon.

Some can handle alcohol responibly and as a Christian should.

Some cannot.

I have seen up close the damage alcohol can cause.

Marsha and I are very conscious of our example.  We do not want anyone to see us take a drink and have that be the excuse for them to start drinking.  Stumbling blocks are real.  

So we really buy in to the help the weaker brother by the way we live.

Alcohol consumption can sure lead to behaviors that have enormous consequences.  

Hard to manage your life when you don't remember parts of it.

So my opinion about Christians, Jesus, and the drinking of alcohol.

Stay sober.

Be aware of your influence.

If you are a leader (elder couple, preacher, parent, etc.) be especially aware.

Choosing not to drink is never a bad choice.

Remember to filter you drinking decisions thru the great commandments:  how does this love God and how does this love my neighbor.




Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?