Tuesday, January 12, 2021

 

When It Is Time to Leave Your Church

 Lots of people change churches.  Some change their big group (denomination).  Some change their small affiliation (congregation).  Sometimes large numbers leave, sometimes smaller number.  All at once, or over time.  

So let me say right up front that I am not a fan of changing churches.  

Your community of faith is your spiritual family.  You do -- and have done -- life together.  Often for years.  Your church is where you and your people were baptized, married, and buried. 

I am a believer in the authority of elders and submission to your church leaders.  You will not always agree and you will sometimes be frustrated, but they are your leaders and they have authority.

Most things people leave over are not worth it.  So worship is not always like you wish it was.  If it was the way you wanted it, someone else might not like it.  The preacher may not be your favorite, but others may love him.  

And most things people get unhappy and leave over are not really core matters.  They are usually matters of opinion.  You may be incredibly frustrated that nothing ever changes.  Or that it seems everything is changing.  But that does not always mean leave.

Because there are no perfect preachers, leaders, members, or churches.  

But I am not saying you should never leave your community of faith.

Leave when your church changes in such a way that it violates your core convictions.

If you do not know your core convictions, you need to do some basic work on what you believe before jumping the gun and up and leaving.

Let me give you an idea of my core convictions.

Jesus, his death, burial, and resurrection according to the Scriptures.  Of course this is not original.  It is out of I Corinthians 15.

So I have a strong conviction about baptism as the way we share in the death of Jesus (Romans 6 among others).  And I have a strong conviction about the Lord's Supper as the way faith communities share and remember the death and resurresction of Jesus (I Corinthians 11 among others).  So if a church decides to de-emphasize these, I am going to have trouble staying.

Because of Scripture.  So if a church chooses to change how they interpret Scripture, that may violate my core conviction.  Not just the decisions made based on new interpretation, but the fact that they change the view of Scripture.  Because how you interpret Scripture does determine what decisions you make.  I am pretty much "if Scripture says it we better follow it," and "if Scripture does not say it, we better not bind it" kind of believer.

Let me be clear.  Churches can change.  They may become convinced that God is taking them in a new direction.  They have that right.  That change may not violate your core beliefs.  Or it may.  And if it does, I have to answer first to my God, not to my church.

So church leaders can certainly change if they believe that is what God wants.  I can disagree.  And may choose to leave since we no longer agree on what I believe to be core.  And I may believe that is what God wants of me.

Your core convictions may be more -- or less -- than my list.  You too answer to God first, not to me.  You may not agree with my core.  I may not agree with yours.  We each have to do what we believe God calls us to do.

So if you decide you have to leave... then what?

I'll share more thoughts next time.  



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?