Tuesday, March 16, 2021

 

Mark Rogers, death, and what I want to remember from his life

Mark Rogers was killed in a car wreck last Saturday.  He is survived by his wife, Jenn, and his three kids.  It seems so senseless and tragic.  So many questions.  But so many answers.  Answers about faith and the resurrection.  Answers about the legacy of a life well lived.  Answers about the hope of someday.

Mark and I weren't particularly close.  But he loved singing in worship.  I loved speaking in worship.  So we connected many times that way.  We were part of a funeral group.  For several years it seemed as if every funeral had the same two or three speakers, the same 10-12 singers, and the same 15-20 food fixers and servers.  We were both in that group.

So I wanted to share three things I want to remember from Mark's life.  Three things that make me a better follower of Jesus.

Love life.  Mark just loved life.  Loved being Jenn's husband.  Loved being a Dad.  Loved worship.  Loved people.  Loved the marginal.  Loved his friends.  And everybody thought they were his friend.  Mark was happy.  So many of us grieve Mark, but when talking about him... well, everybody smiles.  Everybody.  It seems to me that maybe Mark crammed a lot of life into a few years.  Maybe that is how God intended us to live.  Mark didn't have a love life.  Mark was a love life.  Just like Jesus.  That inspires me.

Mark loved to praise God.  It helps if you are a really good singer, but the music wasn't the main point for Mark.  Jesus was.  Loved watching Mark and his Dad, Urban, sing together.  Lot of strong teaching just in that visual.  Mark sang his praise, but Mark's praise showed in his face.  Mark wanted to be in worship.  Wanted to worship.  Happy to lead.  Happy to sing.  Happy.  I appreciate the people that inspire me to worship.  I am inspired to worship like it is a celebration.  Thanks Mark.

Mark made people feel better. You had to smile when around him.  Old people, young people, and everyone in between.  Quick with a laugh, quick with a compliment.  You left Mark feeling like you were a better person than you were a minute ago.  I want to do that for people.

And it all comes from what was core to Mark.  He was a believer.  His family is a Jesus family.  First thing my wife said after the phone call was "Jenn will make it thru this."  Great recognition of what a family of faith looks like.

I don't know what was happening in that car right before the accident, but I would not be at all surprised if there was not singing and/or laughing, and/or talking about Jesus.  In fact, I would almost bet on it.  

So thanks Mark.

I look forward to hanging out with you in heaven.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?