Tuesday, April 20, 2021

 

Elders must be good men.

 Serving as an elder/pastor/shepherd of the people in your community of faith is an awesome responsibility.  I beleive that elders are responsible leading their flock in the faith and delivering them safely to Jesus at the judgement.  

Scripture is clear about the kind of men who serve/lead in this capacity.  

An elder is a man of strong Christian character.  I am not sure there is a checklist of qualifications that must be met, but there are descriptions of the men who serve as elders. 

Not perfect, but strong Christians.  So I thought I would share why this is so important.

Be in control.  You will get frustrated trying to get the lost sheep to come home.  There will be conflict.  You will have to make some hard decisions.  Some will not appreciate hearing truth.  And some will attack you.  So you cannot lose your temper.  You cannot be quick tempered.  

Don't be greedy since elders oversee money given to be used in ministry.  

Elders have to have high character because they are the examples to follow among the flock.  If a group of Christians decide to follow your example, where will they end up?  At the cross following Jesus.  Show the way.

Having strong Christian character makes you trustworthy.  Your sheep must believe that they can trust you.  Trust your advice.  Trust you to have their spiritual well-being foremost in your heart and mind.  Trust you to not lead them astray.  Trust you enough to follow your advice.

Good elders are first of all good men.  

All Christians want to have the character of Jesus.  And we all have people in our circle of influence who look to us.

But elders especially have to be strong Christians in all they say and do.  Because you are putting yourselves at the front of the flock and leading them.  

And your strongest shepherding will be by your example.

So as you think about men you want to be your spiritual shepherds, look for the men you know to be full of the Holy Spirit.  When I think about who I trust to lead me to heaven, I first look for the character of Jesus in them.

And elders -- or potential elders -- leave all false modesty out of this.  You know if you are a man of God or not.  Your wife sure knows.  And your kids.  If you are, step up and lead.

And if someone says to you they are not good enough to be an elder, maybe you ought to listen.

So I am thankful for the good elders I have known in my life.  Elders who were recognized and accepted that responsibility publicly, and those who were elders in everyway except publicly.  Those men who I absolutely trusted to get me home.  Those who I am still trusting to get me home.

And young men, start building your Christian character.  God's people have always needed good elders.  

Become one.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?