Tuesday, April 13, 2021

 

Hard Questions and No Answers about Death

Death that seems tragic and far too soon.  Death that we do not understand.  Not fair.  Cancer in kids.  Car wrecks.  Natural disasters.

Why such a good person?

Why not the bad people?

It is not fair?

Where was God?

Doesn't God care?

Why didn't God answer my prayer?

Strong Christians sometimes ask questions like these.  Anyone is a position of spiritual influence has to answer questions like these.

But I am not sure there are answers.  Not the way we think of answers.

But there are three things I would remind all of us.  The things I tell people to help get thru unimaginable hurt and grief when the questions come.

There is a huge difference in "God did" and "God allowed."  I absolutely believe God can do anything He desires to do in this world.  It is His.  And I do not believe much of what we see around death is God's will.  Death as a result of sin (your sin or other's sin) is not God's plan or desire.  But there are consequences to actions.  Disease was never in God's plan.  But it is a fallen world since we left the Garden.  Death was not even in God's plan till we made bad choices.  And even then, God sent Jesus to die and then raised Him from the dead.  

Yes but why didn't God stop the evil.  Here is where faith comes in.  I trust God or I don't.  If everything came out exactly the way I want it to, then I am god and not God.  If everything I think is right -- and I pray for -- turns out exactly the way I want, I don't really need faith.  But when things do not turn out the way I want... I have to believe God is in control and He knows what is best for everyone everywhere.  I do want to be clear that I am not talking about those who die.  Of course that is better for them to be with the Lord.  But when you are picking up the pieces, you ask the hard questions.  And then trust God and cling to faith when there are no answers.

And no, we will not understand God's ways.  His ways are so much above us.  Even if God explained the why -- or the plan -- I would not understand it.  Still might not want to accept it.  Maybe that is why God does not explain himself to us.  Nor does He have to.  He is God and we are His children.  He is in charge.  

And I have to believe that or I could not stand the pain in the world.

So in the midst of pain and grief.  So in the stuggle with unanswerable questions.  Here is what I cling to...

God knows best and will never do the wrong thing.

I will trust my faith in Him.

I don't have to understand.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?