Tuesday, May 25, 2021

 

Helpful Hints for How to Visit the Sick

 Things are opening up and many hospitals are once again allowing visitors.  I think we Christians are expected to visit the sick among our communtiy of faith.  In James 5, it even seems that the sick are expected to let their elders know so they can be annointed and prayed over.  

Visiting the sick encourages those in a fragile state.  It allows you to assess needs and do service.  It lets the sick one know they are loved and valued.  But some Christians are not sure how to visit the sick.  They are a little intimidated.  So here are some hints for visiting the sick.

Go with someone else.  Find someone who visits and go with them.  Learn by watching them.

Be brief.  I am the master at drive-by visits.  In and out.  The last thing a sick person needs is someone that overstays their welcome. 

Three easy questions.  How are you?  What does the Doctor say?  Can I pray over you?

Always pray.  It can be short and sweet.  Pray for healing.  For peace.  For the care givers.  For the family.  I am big on the prayer circle if other family members are there.  Most of the time if medical personnel come in I invite them into the circle.  Almost always they join.

Touch.  Hold a hand.  Put a hand on a shoulder.  Or on a foot.  But use common sense.  Not if it is awkward or difficult to connect.

They do not need your stories unless they ask. It is fine to acknowledge that you or a family member had the same condition.  But you are there for them.  If they want to know about your experiece then share it.  Otherwise it is probably enough to let them know you do have some understanding.

They may want to talk.  Learn to read the room.  Tears or troubled expressions may indicate a desire to talk.  Sometimes I just ask if they want to talk about anything.  I will often ask when I could come back and visit.  Or I will take time then.

Don't dodge the hard topics.  By the way, for my elder buddies, you are not allowed to dodge the hard questions. That is what you are there for.  I have had many discussions with sick people -- or with their loved ones -- about death and dying.  I have had discussions about salvation and Jesus.  Sometimes from those wanting to be saved.  And sometimes from those wondering if they are saved.  

Be careful about family issues.  Family pain can sure be revealed when people are sick.  Listen.  Remember there are usually two sides.  Unless you know the story, be careful.  But many times I have left hospital rooms to make calls to family members.  Just let the sick person know in advance that you are doing that. 

So... my three rules for visiting the sick.

Be there.

Be brief.

Pray.    


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?