Tuesday, June 22, 2021

 

Four Things Good Preachers Have in Common

 I like good preaching.  I love great preaching. And like all preachers, it is hard to listen to other preachers without thinking how I would do it.  But I have known some really good preachers.  Heard some really good preachers.  So here are the four things they all had in common.

Scripture.  All good preachers use the Bible.  I need preachers who share truth, not just their opinions.  I have opinions too.  And if disagree with you, I need to know that my issue is not really with you, it is with Scripture.  Even if I don't like it.  Maybe that is why I love preaching that works thru a text.  Or thru a whole book from the Bible.  It is a pretty good sermon if all you do is read the Bible.

Good Communication.  I appreciate intensity from preachers.  I want to hear in their voice how much what they are saying matters.  Humor helps.  Good visuals are fine.  I have even known a few preachers that lead songs as part of their sermons.  I want preachers that connnect the dots.  Or a least have dots that I can connect.  Not a fan of bunny trails and sidetracks.  

Practical Application.  I want to know what God says.  I appreciate preachers who make it easy to get the point.  But tell me what to do with it.  Or at least ask and make me think about what to do with the text.  After all, the assembly is designed to inspire me to love and good works.  So let me know how to put truth into practice.

Authentic lives.  I do believe that preachers have to live their sermons.  Not be perfect.  It is even OK to say this is a truth I struggle with, but let me know you listen and apply your own sermons.  The more you get to know a preacher, the more you ought to be able to listen.  Preachers should not let their lives get in the way of their message.  

So the good preachers share God's word with me, make it easy to understand, tell me what to do with it, and let their lives illustrate it.

So thanks to all the really good preachers I have known.  And to the not so good preachers.  After all, there are two ways to come up with a list like this.  What worked.  And what did not work.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?