Thursday, June 03, 2021

 

I may not be right about everything

 I am not the smartest person in the room.  Unless I am by myself.  And if the dog comes in, I may only be the second smartest in the room.  I did manage to get a couple of degrees from a Christian college/university, but that was a long time ago.  I tend to think like a 69 year old white American male.  Becuase I am.  Though I have spent years working with college students so that might have impacted things.  And I have traveled a lot outside of the U.S. so that might change some things.  I have been married 48 years, raised a daughter, and have two granddaughters so that probably influences how I think.  I have friends of color and that may have impacted my thinking.

And I am a Christian.  That certainly affects my world view. I was raised in churches of Christ so there was a lot of Bible.  

I said all of this to say you may not agree with me about the things I write or say.  

OK.  Because you do not have to answer to me.

Most of what I write or say is based first on what I read in the Bible.  I try and filter my thoughts thru the lens of loving God and loving my neighbor.  The cross and the resurrection are realities in my life.  And I have a lot of years reading, teaching, and preaching about Jesus.  I have a lot of years of talking, studying, praying, and helping people follow Jesus.

But I may have some things wrong.  All I know to do is speak what I believe to be true.  And since I spend a lot of time helping people find Jesus, I cannot afford to go with what is trendy and/or popular.  Sometimes the things I share are trendy and popular.  That does not in and of itself make them true.  Sometimes what I share is not trendy or popular.  Does not in and of itself make them wrong.

Sometimes people even get mad at what I share.  Once in a while they even get personal.  

OK.  Because I do not answer to them.

I have to answer to God.  And so do you.

Most of the time we will get along.  I will still be your friend and brother.  I would still be glad to help you and be there for you.

But I do have a few core convictions.  They are not many but they are not open to compromise.  

So when you read or watch or hear me, check it out for yourself.  Read your Bible.  I don't think you have to have a degree to understand it.  And you are probably smarter than me.  But you can get what God says.

After all, the Holy Spirit used a well educated religious man (Paul) to write parts of the Bible.  He used a Doctor (Luke).  And he used a common fisherman (Peter).  

Of course I think I am right.  Or I wouldn't teach what I do.

But since I am absolutely an imperfect man trying to share a perfect message, I am sure I get some things wrong.  I just don't know what they are.

Lots of Jesus.  And lots of Bible.  I do know Jesus is right and the Bible is true.  

And yes, those are among my short list of core convictions.  


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?