Thursday, June 17, 2021

 

Things to do for your Dad while you still can

 Father's Day can be a difficult day for lots of reasons.  Some of you have such a good relationship with your Dad that it is hard to figure out how to have a special day.  They are all special.  Some of you have a difficult relationship with your father and it is an awkward day.  And what do you buy a Dad?  Ties?  Nope.  BarBQue tools?  Maybe.  It is hard.  

And some of you no longer have your Dads.  Because in the natural way of life, Dads die before their kids do.  My Dad and Marsha's Dad are both in heaven.  So if your Dad is still alive, here are some things I want you to give your Dad for Father's Day.

The gift of gratitude.  You have things you ought to really appreciate that your Dad gave you.  Faith.  Or a work ethic.  Or athletic coaching.  Maybe it was a love of travel.  Or the outdoors.  Maybe he was just there for you.  But thank your Dad.  He was not then -- and is not now -- perfect.  But he tried.  I wish I had told my Dads even more how thankful I am for what they gave me.

Forgiveness and grace.  It may be that you need to ask for forgiveness.  It may be that you need to extend it.  I know that everyone has at least some baggage their Dad gave that is not helpful.  It may have been something specific.  Or you may just need to tell your Dad that you know he probably worries about what he would do differently if he could go back.  Tell him it is OK.  

Time.  Take your Dad to lunch.  Or invite him to take you.  Watch a movie together.  Go to church togther.  Take a trip.  Go to the zoo.  You know, all those things he did with you when you were growing up.  Return the favor now that he is growing old.

Grandkids.  This is not an appeal for you to have more kids.  But it is a reminder to let you Dad get to be with you and your kids.  Not just free babysitting, but real time.  One of my best gifts from my two kids is to watch them with my grands.  Trips.  Meals.  Visits.  Games and concerts.  Playing games.  Family worship.

And a quick word to moms reading this.  If your husband is working hard at being a good Dad (whether the kids or his by birth or marriage), you take the time to thank him, love him, and tell him you appreciate his leadership as a Dad.  

I realize how incredibly blessed I have been.  My Dad and my second Dad (Marsha's Dad) were not perfect men.  But they were devout followers of Jesus who loved me.  The older I get, the more I appreciate what they gave me.  

And I am proud of my two kids.  I did my job.  They know Jesus.  They will take care of their Mom if anything happens to me.  And they are raising good kids.  All five of my grands are growing into strong, healthy, believing adults.  

So tell your Dad you love him, thank him, tell him he did a good job.  And let him hang out some with you and the kids.  

The best gifts you can give him.

And to Julie and Joe Don.  You already do all these so thanks for making every day a great Father's Day for me.     


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?