Thursday, September 09, 2021

 

I'm about to be 70... What's next?

 So I turn 70 this Saturday.  Most of my comtemporaries have officially retired.  I haven't.  So here are a few thoughts on what happens now.

I don't know.  I mean, I don't know how long I have left in this phase of my life.  My health is good, but at 70 that could change overnight.  My energy level is really high but maybe it will all of a sudden go away in the next year or two.  

But here is the truth.  We are all dying (at least in this life) and none of us know when.  So I just don't think in terms of how long do I have.

I think I will just keep doing what I am doing today.

I want to find people seeking Jesus or looking for hope.  I want to share the good news of Jesus.  I want to motivate and equip believers to talk about their faith.  I want to be active in the Kingdom harvest that is coming.

I want to keep shepherding the people that follow me.  I am not an official elder right now, but there are people that trust me to shepherd them.  So Marsha and I are going to keep ministering to those in crisis.  We are going to keep loving, walking with, and speaking truth into those who are hurting.

So how is that happening?  Are you still going to work for Herald of Truth or a church?  

I guess.  I don't know.  Those are details.  The call and the ministry are the important things.  God will take care of the details.

I am still preaching for Herald of Truth.  As long as I can travel, and my preaching is effective, and they want me... I am happy to keep doing that.

Still enjoy fill-in and interim preaching.  Happy to do that.

Maybe some church will want someone on staff as an evangelist.  Not a program or director of ministry but an actual evangelist.

Maybe I'll even be a paid elder some day.  

Or maybe I won't be supported by anyone.

The point is to do what God calls me to do.  The rest is just details.  And God has always -- always -- taken care of our needs.  

I just want to go hard for Jesus until I cannot.  

I encourage you to do the same.  How ever old you are.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?