Tuesday, September 21, 2021

 

Irma Archer, Cynthia Coates, and Jesus

Irma Archer and Cynthia Coates.  You wouldn't think they would have much in common.  30 year age difference.  One was in a memory care unit.  One was on staff at a large church. I don't suppose they would even have known each other.  Probably never met.  But I kew them both. 

They both died last week. And that is when I started realizing how much alike these two women were.

It starts with Jesus.  Both committed their lives at a young age to following Jesus.  They both powerfully impacted a lot of people for Jesus.  Both served as elder's wives.  

They both loved music.  Singing, musical instruments.  Both pretty accomplished.  And they both enjoyed worship and singing.  

They both loved teaching children about Jesus.  Irma even wrote material for Bible school that ended up being used all over the nation.  Cynthia served on staff at our church as the Children's minister.  

I never would have connected them except for the fact that they went to meet Jesus at the same time.

Now I find myself a better disciple because of Cynthia and Irma.

I am even more conscious of hugging my family and telling them how much I love them.  Because Irma couldn't any longer.  Couldn't really recieve or express her love the way she wanted.  Because Cynthia was unexpected and her family would give anything for a little more time here to share love.

They have reminded me to focus even more intently on Jesus because this life is hard. Life is not always how we think it should be.  I want to hold on to what matters.

I may have teared up Sunday singing.  Thinking about Cynthia and Irma.  Different circumstances but thinking how they would enjoy singing.  So I am a little more intense in my worship.  

And I have prayed a little more for the little ones in our churches.  Thankful for those who are teaching them to love Jesus.  Those who are helping parents raise believers.  

Jesus sure loved the little children.  So did Irma.  So did Cynthia.  

So thanks Irma and Cynthia.  I hope you two have connected around the throne.  I imagine you are enjoying worship and talking about you families.  Maybe you are singing "Jesus loves the little children."  

It would fit. 

So thanks to both for influencing me.  

See you soon.    


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?