Thursday, October 07, 2021

 

Three things to be careful of when deciding what the Bible means

 When I hear people talking about how to interpret Scripture, there are three things I often hear that I think can be unhealthy if we are not careful.

Listen to the Universities.  Or the people with degrees from the University.  I do need to say that I appreciate scholarship.  I even have two degrees from Abilene Christian.  But here is why I think that can be dangerous.  If you do not have a degree, or a Bible degree/degrees, it might be easy to decide you cannot know enough to interpret Scripture for yourself.  Best to leave it to the professionals.  I don't think that is what God intended.  

And which University.  I know people that do not trust my academic qualifications.  Some because I studied at ACU.  And the others because I studied at ACU but at the wrong time.  My school doesn't teach what it used to.  Not making a case for whether that is good or bad.  Just saying relying on degrees to interpret Scripture can be confusing.


Culture.  I hear quite a bit about Scripture being interpreted in different ways because our culture is different that the culture into which Scripture was written.  Of course it is different.  So what was true then may not be true in our culture.  Or true in 1950 culture but not 2021 culture.  So might not be true again in 2051 culture.  Or true in American culture but not China.  Or Africa.  Or Cuba.  

I sometimes think we assume our culture is right so we are the correct filter to interpret Scripture.  So churches in Africa and the US might have different truths.  Not sure that is right.


Church.  Some say let the church interpret Scripture.  I know everyone says the church does not follow culture but almost everything I said above about culture could be said about church.  And which church?  I know lots of churches that have changed their fundamental beliefs on lots of topics.  And different churches teach different things as true.  Unless you mean listen to the "right" church.  


Maybe we ought to read the Bible.  Let the Bible comment on itself.  Think for yourself.  Then use resources.  Perhaps listen to churches.  Maybe there is some way to figure out how culture influences how to interpret Scripture but I am not sure exactly how.  


Anyway, just a few random thoughts as I hear people explain to me why I am interpreting Scripture wrong.  :)


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?