Tuesday, November 02, 2021

 

How Bill Merkel was my shepherd

 Bill Merkel was actually my elder.  There have always been 3 or 4 men in my life that I considered my shepherds.  Some were literally elders in my church, some were men that had been elders.  Or that functioned for me as elders.

Bill was both a literal elder and even after he resigned, he was still my elder.

Here is why.

I knew elders were not perfect.  I knew that some elders had not always been as faithful as they wanted to be.  But Bill was the first one I ever heard acknowledge it.  Bill would say that he had not always lived the way he should have as a Christian.  That mattered to me because I have not always lived up to my commitment.

Bill talked a lot about forgiveness and grace.  Because of what God had done for him.  But it was also what I needed to hear.

And Bill adament that repentance means you work of becoming who God wants you to be.  Not just forgiven, but someone who lives their forgiveness.  You change.  

Bill believed that God still uses people who mess up.  That your sin does not define you.  That your future is not determined by your sin.

Bill wanted me to be an elder.  Considered me his elder.  Knew me and thought my past would equip me to be a really effective shepherd.  Just like him.

Sin.  Repentance.  Forgiveness.  Change.  Be useful.

That is what I learned from one of my elders.

Thanks Bill Merkel for not just speaking truth into my life, but for living truth in front of me.

I will follow you right into heaven.

Thanks for teaching me to follow you as you followed Jesus.

See you soon.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?