Tuesday, April 19, 2022

 

Hymonda Merkel's funeral was personal

 I did the funeral for Hymonda Merkel yesterday.  Just like I did a couple of months ago for her husband Bill.  And yes, every funeral is personal to some extent, even the ones where I didn't know the deceased or any of the family.  But some I do are family.  Or just like family.

Hymonda Merkel.  

She and Bill were the volunteer youth ministers for years at the church where my wife Marsha grew up.  She was in Hymonda's teenage girl's class.  The could talke about anything.  And did.  All from the perspective of Scripture.

She and Bill spent over 50 years loving us and being role models for healthy marriage (healthy not perfect), faithful parenting, and how to shepherd as an elder and wife.

We are close and really good friends with her girls and their families. 

So here are a few Hymonda snapshots I will always remember.

Hymonda calling me over during the Garden of Prayer time and pointing out people I needed to go pray with.  Some she noticed that were clearly emotional.  Some she knew about because she had talked to them.  Some she knew about because I guess the Holy Spirit let her know.  She had a heart for the hurting.

So many baptisms.  Bill baptized a lot of people.  I did too.  Marsha and Hymonda were always there.  Encouraging.  Hugging.  

Seeing her at her daughter Trina's marriage to Tony.  So  happy for her daughter to have found another chance at love.

So many prayers together over the years.  Them praying over us.  Then over time it shifted to us praying with and over them.  In their living room.  In the hospital.

Singing at the graveside for her husband Bill.  Amazing grace.  Seeing her eyes light up and hearing her start singing loudly (and well) at the 10,000 years verse.

Even in her last weeks, she was giving me names to talk to about Jesus.

And this one from the week she died.  My wife reading Scripture to Hymonda.  Hymonda was getting fuzzy and weak but when Marsha asked her if she wanted her to read the Bible to her she said yes and asked her to read Psalm 31.  I listened while they talked about Bill and about me.  As they shared memories going back 50 years.  It was a holy moment.

So thanks Hymonda for helping raise my wife.

Thanks to you and Bill for being role models for us.

Tell Bill hi and see you soon.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?