Thursday, June 09, 2022

 

Kent Rideout, Death, and Why Scripture Matters at Times like These

 Kent Rideout was a good friend.  I first knew him in my Youth Group back in the early 70's.  Later we served together as elders.  Lots of lunches together talking about leadership, evangelism, and being better husbands, Dads, and grandfathers.  Encouraging, spiritual, and real.

And he was killed last Sunday in a motorcycle accident at age 65.

So Monday I will be doing his funeral.

But I have been hearing verses in my head ever since I got the news.  And that reminds me why we need to know Scripture.  So at times when it is hard to process what is happening, you will hear God.

So...

I Thessalonians 4.  Three things I think about with Kent.  I am a hope griever.  I grieve the loss of Kent.  I'll miss our lunches.  I will miss his counsel.  It seems to soon.  So of course I grieve.  For me.  For his family.  For his friends.  But I will not grieve as one without hope.  

Because of Jesus.  I believe Kent is with Jesus and I will be too someday.  

So I am using this conviction to comfort those of us who are hurting.

Philippians 1.  Paul talks about how he thanks God everytime he remembers the Philippians.  I am so thankful for memories.  For the things that remind us of the loved ones who got home before us.  So I'll think about Kent when eating Mexican food.  Or talking about mission in Thailand and China.  When I see a motorcycle and remember how he loved life.  

And Hebrews 12.  The cloud of witnesses.  Heroes of the faith.  Surrounding me as I run my race.  Kent among that crowd now.  Cheering on his family.  Cheering me on.  Helping me stay focused on the finish line.  

So God, thanks for Kent.  Bless his family and friends with the comfort of the hope of heaven.  With you.  Forever.  


Comments:
So sorry for the loss of your friend, but you can smile because he is with Jesus. I know you and Marsha will be such a comfort to his family and friends.
 
Steve, thank you for this most lovely tribute to Kent. My one. My rock. He is so incredibly missed.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?