Tuesday, August 23, 2022

 

Why the Bible matters

 I am just going to go ahead and get this out there...

I believe the Bible.  

Here are just a few reasons why.  

It is the word of God.  The Bible is not God.  It did not make me.  I don't believe the Bible loves me.  But I do believe it is the word I need from God.  The Bible is God speaking to me.

It is true.  I mean... it kinda has to be true if it is the word of God.  All of it is true.  I have always thought if the Holy Spirit could inspire men to write the Bible, then the Holy Spirit could make certain it was preserved thru the ages for us.  So I believe we have the word God wants us to know.

And I do believe the Bible is the work of the Holy Spirit.  Used men to write it, but inspired by the Holy Spirit.  I do not think some of the Bible was inspired by the Spirit, but some of it was just men writing what they thought or believed.  Because then you have to decide which is the Holy Spirit and which part is just men.  Some think that is the point.  Of course, it is very confusing when some parts of the Bible are true, then they are not, then they may be true again some day.  So I think it is all or nothing.  For me... it is all true.

I can read the Bible for myself.  Yes, there are parts I do not really understand.  And some parts I do not understand.  But I do not think that makes it not true.  Because I do not think I am the fount of all truth and wisdom.  I don't think you are either.  That's why we need the Bible.

My spiritual life is better as a Jesus follower when I follow the Bible.  I mean, most of what I know about Jesus I learned from the Bible.  All those stories that show God's character.  Even the parts I don't get.  They remind me that God is greater than I am.  And He knows more.  

I love the Bible.  I want to know Scripture.  Not just for the doctrine, though it is sure good to have truth to study.  But for the life advice.  It shows me where my life is out of line, it shows me how to get back on track, teaches me.  And it is good for me to teach the Bible to fellow travelers on the Jesus road.  Yes, I did steal those last few points from the Bible.  

All the really great Jesus followers I have known have been people who read the Bible.  

Every one.

So I read mine.

Because it is from God.  It is true.  It helps me follow Jesus.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?