Tuesday, November 08, 2022

 

Jesus and voting... or not

 Today is election day and it is a hard day to decide things.  I wrestle with I should even vote.  And if I do, who to vote for.  It is all rooted in the struggle to be a Jesus follower in a hard world.

So, here are two thoughts I have about why I sometimes vote.

I vote at times on issues.  I think the Bible is clear on certain things.  Among those are how God values life.  And how God sees marriage.  I happen to live in a country that allows citizens to vote on those topics in various ways and at various times.  And how to vote is never as easy and clear cut as we make it seem.  Because laws are not people.  People and laws are messy.  but I do sometimes vote my beliefs on issues.

I sometimes vote because I know the candidates.  This obviously works better in local elections.  So I vote for Kyle, Shane, Anthony, Randy, Daryl, Cindy, Derek, and Stan.  If you don't live in Abilene, TX, these names mean nothing.  But these are all Christian brothers I know and respects.  So I may vote just because I know them.  And by the way, I don't always agree with them.  But I know their heart.  And yes, I go to church with many of them.  

And sometimes I do not vote.  

Here is why.  

Kingdom allegience.  I belong to a different kingdom.  It is so much bigger than the country in which I live.  I don't know that my resources need to be expended in helping decide issues for a country that will not last.  The United States will not last forever.  But my kingdom will.

This is the one that really gets me tho.

I am not sure I know the best way to vote.  

I can vote Kingdom values in a country that is not godly.  And won't be.

I can vote for people I think uphold those values.  Or I can vote in reverse.  Against someone instead of for someone.  But what is best for the kingdom?

Is a free country here the best way to advance the Kingdom where my allegience truely lies?  Is it better to be in a anti-Christian nation?  Maybe that is how the gospel really flourishes.

And finally...

I see a lot of Christians acting in unChristian ways when it comes to politics.  I know the fruits of the Spirit.  I don't see much of that fruit in politics.  And when politics becomes a test of fellowship (even if it is implied not explicit), then we are missing the point.

So on this election day -- and too late to influence anyone -- these are my thoughts.

Oh... and yes this year I voted.  Just probably not the way you wanted me to.  And probably not in every race.  

And I am confident that whoever wins whatever is exactly the way God intends for it to be.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?