Tuesday, December 20, 2022

 

A few random thoughts about families and Christmas

 I like Christmas.  Mostly because of family.  Lots of intentional effort between Thanksgiving and New Years for families to connect.  Immediate family, extended family, and "might as well be" family.  It is sometimes hard to stay connected so I appreciate the chance to see siblings, nieces and nephews, and cousins.

And I hurt for those in fractured families.  I don't mean families with issues -- that's all of us.  I mean families that do not even communicate.  Families that are truely broken.

I remember that some families have an empty chair for the first time this year.  It is hard.

And others have an extra chair for the first time.  Good for them.

I am reminded that some of the people I am talking to about Jesus are seeing Christmas in a new way this year.  They are making decisions that will change their family forever.  

I appreciate the doers and workers in every family.  The cooks.  The drivers.  The pick up the wrapping paper people.  The ones who clean up after everyone else.  The ones that open their home.

I appreciate the families that will sitting together in church on Christmas Sunday.  Not because it is a more holy day, but because they are worshipping together.  

I am thankful for the non-believers who go to church with everyone else.  And yes, I pray that something will strike your heart and make you want to know Jesus.

I am thankful for the prodigals living away from their faith who show up anyway.  Maybe this will be your "come home" Sunday.

I appreciate those that work on Christmas.  The nurses, the police, the people we need at their post so we can enjoy Christmas.  

And I am thankful for my family this Christmas.  

Both my blood family and my blood of Jesus family.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?