Tuesday, December 13, 2022

 

I am a Christmas Schizophrenic

 I have such mixed feelings about Christmas, Jesus, church, and how it fits together.

Don't tell me Christmas is a Christian holiday.  After all, it is not in the Bible as something we have to do.  But don't tell me I am wrong to talk about Jesus at Christmas either.  At a season when the whole world is thinking about Jesus, we seem really odd as Christians to not even recognize it.

Don't tell me I have to put a tree in the church building.  Sure not going to find that in the Bible.  Unless it is in that passage about church buildings.  Oops.

You do not have to sing Joy to the World at Christmas service.  Of course, nothing wrong with singing it at Christmas.  Or in July.

Don't get why some people think it is wrong to have a Christmas Eve candlelight service.  Seems like Christians getting together to celebrate Jesus would be a good thing.  But I don't get why some people are bothered if you do not go.

Advent.  Not in the Bible.  Though peace, joy, love, and hope sure are.  

Some of my favorite churches make a big deal about Christmas.  Some of my favorite churches hardly mention it.

But here is what I do know.  God sent his son into the world to save us from our sins.  We need to read Luke 2 a whole lot more.  The birth of Jesus is good news that brings great joy.  Our world needs that now as much as it did then.  

Maybe my friends and neighbors are a little more open to talking about Jesus at Christmas.  Let's not blow any more opportunities.

As for me, my favorite Christmas things are family, food, and fun.

You know, just like church.  

So I don't much care what your church does at Christmas.  

Let's just not fight about it.  



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?