Tuesday, January 17, 2023

 

Randy Harris, Virgil Bentley, and how I am learning the Sermon on the Mount

 Our church is studying the Sermon on the Mount over the next couple of months.  Nathan Burrow, our preacher, is preaching on it.  Every Bible class is studying it.  And to help kick it off, we had Randy Harris come teach a combined Bible class on it.  He did a "get ready to study this" lesson.  

One thing he talked about really struck me.  He talked about memorizing the Sermon on the Mount.  

I like that idea.  Chrisitians just do not know Scripture like we used to.  Or at least like we thought we did.  Knowing Scripture is important.  Having Scripture be a part of you matters.  It is good to have Scripture just pop up in you mind at the right time.  You can read Scripture and that helps.  Read it aloud.  Read it repeatedly.  Those all help.  

But memorization matters.  I hope children's classes still do memory verses.  My wife always had a memory verse for our cousin camps every summer.  

The Sermon on the Mount is a life guide for followers of Jesus.  I need to have in my mind and heart the Beatitudes.  I need the teaching on forgiveness.  Or not doing my religion to be seen by others.  Or not to lust or get angry.  Or to trust God.  Or to do what is in this sermon.

So my wife and I are working on memorizing the Sermon on the Mount on our morning walks.  After we pray.  Yes, she makes me walk a long time.  And no, we are not going to demonstrate how we are doing.  Kinda misses the point if we do that.

So thanks for that reminder Randy.

And thanks to Virgil Bentley.  Way back around 1980 I heard Virgil preach a sermon.  The Sermon on the Mount.  He preached it from memory.  And I remember thinking how great it was that he could have that message be so much a part of him.  

So thanks to Virgil and Randy -- and Marsha -- I am putting the Sermon on the Mount into my mind, heart, and life.

It's a good idea.


Comments:
Randy has a way of "encouraging" folks to do things like this. Let us know of your progress. Us older folks sometimes have a more difficult time doing things like memorization. Shucks, I can't even remember what I had for lunch yesterday!!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?