Tuesday, March 14, 2023

 

CHURCH of Christ or Church of CHRIST

 I am on staff at Hillcrest church of Christ.  I have spent my life in the heritage known as churches of Christ.  I have spoken at many community worship services, some community and evangelical churches, but most of my preaching has been in churches of Christ.

I have written about why I use the little "c" in churches.  It is because I believe this is not a title, it is a description.  

But I also think we sometimes put the emphasis in the wrong place.  I think that some of my tribe occasionally puts the emphasis on Church.  Which leads to that whole debate about church organization, how we worship, what name is correct, buying a Church building, creating a budget, and having a professional staff.  You know, all the things that make a Church.  

I doubt it ever happens intentioanally, but this can easily lead to elevating the church above Christ.  Doing service in the name of the Church instead of in the name of Jesus.  Even converting people to the Church instead of to Jesus.  

I want us all to be sure we keep the emphasis where it belongs.  We are the people of Christ.  The community of Jesus.  The ones called to be disciples of Jesus.

More emphasis on living in community as disciples.  Inviting others to join us on the journey.  

Some will not get what I am trying to say.  

Some will get it, but not agree.  Or think I am making too much of this.

But as for me, I love Jesus much more than the church.  My church is much bigger than Hillcrest.  I love Hillcrest -- the people, not the organization.  And certainly more than the Church building.  Maybe because I still get lost there.  :)

So let's keep the emphasis where it belongs.

Not CHURCH of Christ.  

But church of CHRIST.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?