Tuesday, March 21, 2023

 

Four reasons to be patient with sinners

 Lots of Christians struggle with sin.  I have.  And still do in some areas.  I even wrote the book, Wounds into Scars, for the struggling Christian who cannot move past their sin.

It is hard to know how to deal with Christian sin.  It hurts God and it reflects poorly on Him.  And hurts the church.  Their are consequences.  Others get wounded by your sin.

But then there is the whole Prodigal son/older brother story.  And the plank in my eye while I work on the speck in yours.  And the forgive as you want to be forgiven.  

It is hard to be patient with sinners.  We all want them to stop it.  We worry about the damage being caused.  

But here are four things I remind myself about being patient with sinners.

Being patient gives them time to repent.  You know, like God does with us.  So keep praying, loving, speaking truth, holding accountable, forgiving.  Many sinners do get better at following Jesus. They do overcome their addictions and their struggles.  

Some strugglers have pressures we do not really understand.  Unless, of course, you have been there.  Addictions are real, serious, and hard to break.  Pressure from friends and family is real.  Habits are hard to break.  That is why we must do better with living in community.  Not just Sunday worship, though that sure does make a difference.  But being there on the Friday nights.  Hanging out to model better relationships.  Doing life.  Being there.

Some sinners don't see a way out.  Yes, we must do a better job of discipling and we must expect more from each other.  Holding each other accountable matters.  But we also have to be aware of the pressures some of our brothers and sisters are under.  Economic pressure.  Family pressure.  Cultural pressure.  

And of course, the big one.  I want you to be patient with me.  I am forever grateful to the people who have been patient with me.  Some were not.  But a few were.  And it worked.  I want God to be patient with me.  I am trying with all my heart.  So why do I want grace and patience but refuse to grant it to others?  

I am not saying to excuse sinful behavior.  Or to ignore it.  

But I saying we have to be patient.  

So forgive, pray, teach, fellowship, be there, and be patient.

Just like God is with you.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?