Tuesday, March 28, 2023

 

Numbers 7 is why I did not write the Bible

 The Bible is a strange book sometimes.  I mean, there are things God should have dealt with and He did not.  And things He says which clearly are out of touch with today's world.  And sometimes He just does not communicate in a clear and understandable way.

Unless you believe He is God and so of course we will not understand everything.  He is so far above us that our job becomes less debating what God really meant (as if we could figure Him out) and more about obeying.  

So I am OK with the things God does not specifically deal with -- I assume the principles are their that would help me understand what to do.  And of course our culture is going to be out of step with God.  You know, the whole fallen world thing. 

But Numbers 7 is just ... odd?

It is a list of the gifts that the leader of each of the tribes gives at the consecration of the tabernacle.  And it is mind numbing.  The same list of gifts over and over again.  Just the name changes.  I could have tightened that right up as an editor.  One list of gifts.  One list of names.  Tighten up the whole chapter. 

But I really don't think I can edit God.  And should not edit God.  I absolutely believe God had a reason for everything in the Bible.  It is true and I need it.

So after reading Numbers 7 three times over a couple of weeks, here is what I learned.

I matter. Individuals matter.  Like so many lists of people in the Bible, I am reminded that God knows each of us and cares about each of us.

Every gift matters.  What I give in money, time, resources, and talent matters in the Kingdom.  God knows what I contribute.

Each of our gifts combined make great God things possible.  He uses everything form each of us to form a whole.  Kingdom good.  Kingdom expansion.  Kingdom care.  From each of us woven together in a whole.

I matter.  My gifts matter.  I am part of something greater than me.

So thanks God for giving me Numbers 7.

Just like everything else in your Word, it matters and I am instructed from it.

  


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?