Thursday, March 09, 2023

 

We are all sinners except for this...

 I hear church leaders sometimes say things like this:

"Sinners are welcome here.  We are all sinners.  We are all flawed."

And I get the point.  It is right.  Well, except for three things.

There is a difference in forgiven sinners and those who do not yet follow Jesus.  So yes we all sin.  Our sins are not held against us.  Big difference between visitors and Christians.

We have a different life ethic.  Grace.  We live forgiven.  Doesn't mean we are perfect, but we fight our sin.  Non-believers who may visit are not living under that same ethic.

We are getting better.  Grace has made us better people.  We Christians sometimes make horrible mistakes/sin.  But we repent and take active steps to do better.  We would be so much worse without Jesus.  

I believe Jesus calls people where they are, but not to stay where they are.  He calls lost people to salvation.  

It may be appropriate to say "we get it."  "Many of us have been where you are."  "But Jesus changed us."

So the truth is that we are not just like the non-believing visitor.    

Grace and forgiveness.

And if I am a seeker visiting a church that is just like me even though most of them have been following Jesus a long time, well... that does not inspire confidence that Jesus can change me.

The intentions may be good when we make those kinds of statements.  I just don't think they are accurate.  Or at least I hope they are not accurate.

I know what you mean.  I think.

But do the lost visitors understand?


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?