Thursday, March 16, 2023

 

What is going on in churches in Abilene?

 I travel to a lot of different churches in a lot of areas, so I get this question quite often.

What is going on in Abilene?

My first response is to tell them how excited I am about what God is doing at Hillcrest where I am.  Lots of Kingdom growth.  Evangelism.  Harvest of souls. Then they get to the real question:  what is going on with (fill in the name of the congregation or college).

So I tell them.

First I say that I don't know because unless they are asking about Hillcrest, I probably don't have a clue.  And I am sure too busy to try and find out.  Oh, and I believe in congregational autonomy so it is not really my business.

Then I tell them since I am not an elder at the church they are asking about then I really am not responsible for what they do, so...

And finally, even if they are doing something I do not think is healthy or even the right decision.... well I might be wrong.

I don't go there.  It is their business.  I am not sure what is going on and I might be wrong about the issue.  

Let me be clear.  I think I have a solid Biblical view about any number of things.  But everyone does not agree with me.  And I am sure that goes both ways.

Then I ask how that church responded when you talked to them about it?  Usually ends the conversation.

Or I ask if they believe in church autonomy?  Another conversation stopper.

Finally I sometimes give my stock answer.  I may or may not agree with everything every congregation or college in Abilene is doing.  But I sure hope they all talk to everyone they can about Jesus.  I hope they all baptize dozens, hundreds, next year.  Because there are a lot of lost people in Abilene.

God will sort it all out.  If they are way off base, they will not last long.  

Just like your congregation.    


Comments:
Well said. Keep up your good work.
 
THIS. Yes, yes, yes.
 
Perfect
 
There are some ministers who are not as wise as you. Keep up the good work.
 
Amen, brother. Something tells me in the end God will be a whole lot less concerned about how much we got right and a lot more concerned about how we treated each other while we were trying to figure it all out.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?