Thursday, June 15, 2023

 

Elmores, Edges, Talberts, Crosses, Ridgells, and Jesus

 We were a young preacher and wife with two small kids out in East Texas.  It was a great ministry and a lot of people came to know Jesus.  But there were also some hard things.  People that did not want to do anything differently than they ever had.  And I was pretty immature and fighting some of my own demons.

We needed "parents" that would love us and love our kids.  Support, affirmation, advice, wisdom, and love. There were a lot of people in that church who did that for us. 

But the Elmores, Edges, Talberts, and Crosses were especially there for us.  

They were not perfect couples or families.  But they were faithful.

We did evangelism together.  Worked thru spiritual crisis together.  Grew the Kingdom together.

These couples showed us what good marriages looked like.  They showed us how to live like Jesus.  They loved our kids just like another set of grandkids.

We thought we appreciated them then.  And since.  Thought we loved them.

But the other day we went to the funeral of the last of those eight precious people.  

They are all in heaven now and I look forward to the day I can see them again and thank them for helping us grow up.  And for helping me get to heaven.

So here's the other thing I want to learn from them.

I pray that Marsha and I are mentoring some young families.  By our example, by our words, by our life.

You have had people like this in your life.

Be thankful and return the favor.

Thank you God for these couples that took care of us -- and countless others -- just like we were their own.  And more importantly, because we were yours.


Comments:
Steve, I am just now reading this. Judy and Lissa read it and thought the other had told me. Thanks for sharing!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?