Tuesday, July 04, 2023

 

Jesus, July 4, and a few random thoughts

 So today is the day we celebrate the birthday of the United States.  

I love this country in many ways.  Obviously most of that emotion is because I was born here and grew up here.  I suspect I would feel the same way if my country was England, Cuba, or Mozambique.  I would love them.  

I don't really understand the "greatest country" in the world arguement.  There are a lot of great things about this country.  And a lot of terrible things.  Just like every country.  I do wonder how people in other countries feel about our pride in this country.  But a lot of people want to come here, so...

It may be like living in the greatest state in the U.S.  And I do.  Texas.  Maybe it is because I was born here and grew up here, but ...

And West Texas is the best part of Texas.  Didn't grow up out here, but spent most of my life here.

You get the idea.  

But here is what I am thinking about today.

America is a young country.  And it will not last forever.  Neither will any other country.

I am happy here but America is not where my allegience lies.  

I am a Christian. 

My kingdom is not of this world.  It is bigger and better.

There are people from every country in this world in my kingdom.

And the kingdom of God will last forever.

Yes, I was raised in the kingdom of God.  But I chose to be born again into this kingdom because I believed in Jesus.

In the world, people are divided by geographic borders, or language, or color, or economics.  And people in this country are divided by power, money, and differing opinions of how to be a country.  Different people with different ideas.  But still people.

My kingdom is not run by people.  And when people try to run God's kingdom, it always causes problems.

So I am glad for July 4th.  Glad to have a holiday.  Glad to celebrate the country I live in.  And glad it is not my real kingdom.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?