Thursday, July 06, 2023

 

Jesus, Wes, and deathbed repentance

 Wes died of cancer this past week.  To be honest, most of his life was spent in rebellion against God.  Lived a bad life (his words).  In fact, the only time he really lived out his faith was in prison.  He was baptized there and was active in his prison church.  Lived out his faith.

It was outside of prison that was hard.  I spent a lot of time with Wes the last couple of weeks. His first question to me was about if I thought he could be forgiven for the things he had done.

It seems everyone has an opinion about deathbed conversion.  Or in Wes' case... deathbed repentance.  

I get it, but here are the things that were a part of Wes' last few days that I think really mattered.

These are things I will always use when talking about faith with those in their last days.

Wes talked about his conversion.

Wes expressed genuine remorse over his choices.

We prayed a lot.  For forgiveness, peace, strength, and healing.  

We talked about death.  Prayed for healing but talked about the fact that healing might come here or it might come in heaven.

Read lots of Scripture.  The prodigal son.  I John 1:7-10.  James 5.  He liked to hear God's Word.

Like many families, there were a lot of dark things in Wes's family.  

His sister, Angel, is a fairly new Christian but she led the way in helping Wes live out his repentance.

It was hard for her to see him.  My wife and I went with her the first time.  Then she got other siblings to come see him.

Here is what we heard.

Lots of "I am sorry."  Lots of "I forgive you."  Wes said both of those statements several times.  

Some of our Hillcrest elders came and anointed him with oil.  Prayed over him.  Spoke words of truth about forgivenes of sins and ultimate healing.

His wife Thelma is committing to come back to her Jesus journey.  Even started coming to church with Angel.

Deathbed repentance?

I don't know.  I prefer to call it repentance.  It is never to late to come home.  Wes spent his last days in Scripture and prayer.  And in doing whatever he could to live out his repentance and forgiveness.

I appreciate it.  Learned from it.  I am more faithful today because I watched Wes, and his wife Thelma, and his sister Angel.  

And I am even more thankful for the grace of God that is so much more that I could have ever imagined.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?