Tuesday, August 29, 2023

 

A living tribute to Sug Springer

 I don't do a lot of living tributes, mostly I write tributes for those who have gone on to heaven.  But every once in a while, I get the urge (or the Spirit influences me) to write a tribute to the living.

We recently went to Sug's 90th birthday party.  For a long time, we went to the same congregation.  I was one of her elders.  Saw her often.  Talked to her often.  As did my wife, Marsha.  Recently, we each moved to different congregations and didn't see each other as often.

But here is why it made my happy to celebrate Sug.

She really is one of those people that has one foot in heaven.  Her body is strong, but she is 90.  Her mind is getting a little fuzzy but she still has that same bright smile.  And she still knows us.  She has already lost a husband and a daughter.  So I wonder if she has her eyes on something way better than this life.

She has served countless people.  Literally.  I cannot fathom the number of meals she has not just provided, but served.  For years I didn't think I could do a funeral without Sug being part of the funeral meal.  She was still going and helping and organizing up till just a few years ago.

She was a great encourager.  Heard me preach hundreds of times, mostly to college students.  She always had a hug, a compliment, or a encouraging word.  Always.

Sug has prayed thousands of prayers for people.  For peole to become a follower of Jesus.  Lots for Christians who were struggling.  

She has been an influence and role model for dozens and dozens of younger women.  I saw Kim and Cindy serving at the party.  Traci and Trina.  My wife.  I could just keep on.  

And here is one of the best things I can say about Sug.  If you ever wondered if you were loved, all you had to do was find Sug.  And you knew.  She loved you and so did God.

I may be saying all this at her funeral some day.  But if not, seeing her just reminded me to love a little more, serve a little more, pray a little more.

Thanks Sug.  

I love you.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?