Tuesday, August 15, 2023

 

The biggest decision facing our churches today

 Let me start by saying I am working under the assumption that every church, at least in theory, is built on Jesus.  If not, then you are not even a church.  Not part of the body of Christ.  

But having said that, I think there is one big decision every church has to make.  I think how you decide this issue determines your future, and your usefulness, in the Kingdom.

What are you going to do about the Bible?

I believe that we all read the the Bible the same.  No one really argues much about what the Bible says.  The debate comes over what it means.  

I grew up in the conservative movement called churches of Christ. They were strong on Scripture.  I learned a lot of Bible.  But they did sometimes take it to extremes.  They would study the Bible, make an informed judgement or opinion about something it meant, then give their decision the same weight as definitive statements in Scripture.  

That is a problem.  Claiming the Bible says what it does not say is a dangerous path to take.  You end up with a lot of people leaving your fellowship.  They may not leave Jesus, and they still may value the Bible.  They just do not want to stay in a faith community that gives opinions the same weight as commands. 

I do think churches have to be careful to distinguish between what the Bible actually teaches and what we decide based on that teaching.  Scripture puts a lot of emphasis on our worshipping together.  Not so much on the details of how we worship together.  

But having said all of this, I am more concerned about a different trend I am seeing.

I hear a lot of Chrisitans, and churches, using the Bible as a nice resource and sometimes helpful guide, but not the infallible word of God.

Some parts of the Bible may not be Holy Spirit inspired.  They are just the writer's opinion.  Or, some parts of Scripture were true when they were written, but not true today.  

So every church in every time and in every culture has to continually re-interpret Scripture.  

So what is true in Alaska in 2023 may not be true in Cuba in 2023.  What was true in a certain location fifty years ago may not be true today.

So Scripture is always a moving target.  You can never really count on it to be your rock solid truth to point to Jesus and how to live as a Christian in this world.  

Young people raised with this view of Scripture do not end up changing churches.  Many of them end up leaving Jesus.  No foundation.  No solid truth.  No light for their path in this world.  

A church that constantly interprets Scripture in light of culture will not last. 

I do want to say that I do not believe these churches do not follow Jesus.

I just have never been able to seperate God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, and Scripture.  I don't think they are in conflict.

And it is certainly clear that I believe the Bible is the inerrant word of God.  I know many times in my life it has served to correct me.  Even rebuke me.  And the Bible has showed me a better way to follow Jesus.  It gives me great comfort.  And it makes me really uncomfortable.  But I love the Bible.  I read the Bible.  I teach the Bible.  

The Bible contains the words of life, but the Bible is not life.  Jesus is.  

But God gave us the Scriptures for a reason.  

So if you want to know about the future of your church in say fifty years, take a close listen to what they say about Scriptures.

And if most of the teaching is about why the Bible does not mean what it says, you will face a very uncertain future.

Maybe I am wrong.  But I don't think so.

 


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?