Thursday, September 07, 2023

 

A few thoughts on turning 72

 So next week is another birthday for me.  72 this time.

Here are a few thoughts about getting older.

Don't live in the past.  It is easy to do as we get older.  Sometimes it is the "good old days" syndrome.  Everything was better.  The world, the country, the church, the culture.  If you are not careful, you spend so much time longing for the old days that you miss the life in front of you.  And besides, the good old days really weren't that good.  People have been people forever.  Human nature doesn't change much so I am pretty convinced that the good old days are an exercise in selective memory.

But don't live in the past of regret either.  It is also easy to slip into regret over all the mistakes/sins you committed in the past.  Or to dwell on the missed opportunities.  Or remember in detail all the wrongs done to you.  And that helps no one.  Especially you.  If you are a Christian, spend a little time remembering God's grace.  And being thankful because you are forgiven.  As for missed opportunities, resolve to not miss the ones coming at you.  Past hurts?  Forgive and move on.  And if you are not a Christian, then be born again.  I really don't know what to tell non-believers other than than.


Live for today.  What a gift each day is.  You learn to cherish each day even more as you grow older.  Sometimes I just look around and thank God for the day.  Watching the sunrise.  Hanging out with my wife.  Watching my kids and the grands.  Looking at my dog or my cattle.  And just being thankful.  Waking up in expectation that God is still using me and being excited for what the day will bring.  Still making memories every day.


Be excited about tomorrow.  I am a long way from being through.  Still writing sermons and classes to be preached/taught in the future.  Still outlining the next article or book.  Building a barndo/retreat center at the ranch.  Asking God to use me until I am used up.  Asking God to bless the plans.  

And what if my tomorrows don't happen?

It just means I have died and gone to be with the Lord.  Forever.  So of course I am excited about the future.  It really can't get any better.

So thanks God for 72 years.  It has been so much better than I ever could have dreamed.  You have been so much better than I ever could have imagined.  

So keep doing your thing thru me and in me.  Until I get home for good.


Comments:
Heard a guy the other day regarding good works say, “if you’re not dead, you’re not done” ��
Love you Steve! We got to see Joe Don and his whole family last month!❤️Tina
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?