Thursday, October 05, 2023

 

Water into Wine and missing the Point

 There are stories from the Bible that we think we know and understand.  Then every once and a while I will teach one of them and realize I have been missing lots of really good points from the story.  I am not claiming these are original.  I am sure these points have been made many times.  Maybe even in my hearing.  But somehow I didn't hear it.  Didn't catch it.  Or whatever.

So Jesus' first miracle was to turn water into wine at a wedding feast.  And here are a few things I have not heard mentioned enough.

The water.  I have heard and read lots on the wine.  From the people that really do not want the wine to be wine.  And lots from the people that think this means a Christian can drink hard liquor.  So lots of talk about wine.  But not enough about water.  It started with water.  Just water.  Jesus turned WATER into WINE.  It sure is easy to work so hard on making our point about drinking (either extreme) that we miss the miracle.  I follow a guy who could turn water into wine.  

It is more than a wedding.  The main points I hear are Jesus loved and supported marriage.  Well, yes.  Or that Christians love to eat and have a good time.  Of course.  But here is the big picture point I don't hear much.  We have a God that is interested and cares about our life experience.  He cares about your marriage.  Or your dating life.  Or your parenting.  Or your career.  Or you house.  A God that is interested in our life.  And can change water into wine.

Jesus was glorified and the disciples believed.  That's how the story ends.  And we don't emphasize that enough.  That God and Jesus care about my life is amazing.  That they still do incredible things in my life and for my life.  That strengthens my belief in the greatest decision I ever made:  to follow Jesus.  And I need to constantly give them the glory for the amazing things going on in my life.

So thanks God for putting that story in your Bible.  And thanks for what it teaches me about my life following your Son.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?