Thursday, November 02, 2023

 

Three reasons why I hunt deer

 So deer season in Texas opens this weekend and I will be hunting.  As will almost all the guys in our family.  Wouldn't care if the girls did, but they are not interested.  And we will kill deer this weekend.  Or this season.  I really do not hear many negative comments about hunting in this area.  I mean, it is West Texas.  And all my neighbors around our ranch hunt.  But I know some people wonder how we can kill such beautiful animals.  And they think it is cruel.  So I guess they think we should only eat meat made in the grocery store.  Or they don't realize that there is beauty in every animal that actually does provide the meat you eat.  

But it is too easy to generalize about what is wrong with the anti-hunting position.

I would rather give you the three positive reasons why we hunt, kill, and eat deer.

Food.  The deer on our ranch feed our family.  All three families.  Not the only meat we eat, but deer steaks, deer chili, deer sausage, and ground meat.  We eat what we kill.  And venison is healthy.

Deer population control.  I cannot imagine the deer population if hunters stopped killing deer.  We would be overrun.  Hard winters would starve out many of them.  Hard way to die.  Uncontrolled deer populations would soon result in deer in our city backyards and parks.

Answered prayer.  We pray for our deer (and our cattle) to feed us.  We thank God when He provides deer and we are thankful when we kill one.  We offer thanks when we eat them.  We ask and God provides.

Health, conservation, and God.  Those are pretty good reasons to hunt.

And we will.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?