Thursday, January 18, 2024

 

A living tribute to elder Foy Owens

 Foy Owens is absolutely one of the best elders I have ever known.

I had the privilege of  serving with him for several years so I know first hand how much he loves Jesus and loves people.  We both ended up at different churches but have stayed friends and I still consider him to be one of my elders.  He and his wife are moving to another state to be near family and I have been thinking about how much influence he had on me.

So here are a few of the reasons Foy was such a great elder.

He really loves God.  Lives his faith.  He is honorable, upright, and above reproach.  Being led in prayer by Foy was always so meaningful. And he was, and is, a man of prayer. 

He knew Scripture.  And taught it.  Foy has always studied his Bible.  He taught classes.  He used Scripture in elder discussions.  His small group regularly studied Scripture.  I was so impressed that at a time where there were some controversial things being studied he did not just take someone's word for what the Bible meant, but actually studied it for himself.  And helped his life group study the subject for themselves.  That changes people.  Foy never said "trust me on this."  He was much more of a "here is what God said, what do you think?" kind of elder.

He really loves people.  When someone is in crisis, Foy cares.  Models grace and forgiveness along with accountability.  That makes a difference.  It restores people.  

I have seen members confess struggles and seen Foy set up ongoing meetings where the struggler is encouraged, prayed over, had truth spoken, and been loved.

I have been with Foy when as elders we had to go into horrible situations in an effort to save one of our flock.  Never scared Foy.  He never backed down.

So in many ways, I modeled my shepherding after things I learned from Foy.

He was, and always will be, a man I look to so I can see Jesus more clearly.

To follow Foy is to know that you will end up with Jesus.

Because Jesus is where Foy's eyes -- and life -- are.

So enjoy those grandkids.  The church where you end up will be blessed.

I'll probably still be calling for advice.

And you will be happy to help.  Just like always.



Comments:
AMEN, Steve.
 
What a wonderful Christian example he and Mary Sue have been to us all. I’m so thankful for all I learned from his teachings. The Owens will be missed greatly here but what a JOY for the grands to experience with them there!
Thanks Steve!!
 
Teresa Goode Williams
 
Foy was one of the deacons when we really got the Children's Ministry rolling at Southern Hills. I so appreciated his and Mary Sue's support. They always were people of good, solid, spiritual advice. I know they will be missed in Abilene, but I also know they will enjoy being with their grands as much as we have. Thanks for sharing about them. We love them too.

 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?