Thursday, February 15, 2024

 

I don't celebrate Lent except when I do

 I always have conflicting thoughts about Lent.

I know the celebration of Lent is not is the Bible so we do not have to celebrate it.  And I don't mark Lent, I don't teach people to observe Lent, and I don't think it is a mark of spirituality to celebrate it.  But I don't think it is wrong or it is some kind of sin.  But I don't mark it or celebrate it.

Except...

I am trying to do better at the spiritual discipline of fasting.  That is a very Biblical thing.  And it is a big part of Lent.  For a long time, I viewed fasting as doing without food.  And I often got so busy I missed lunch.  That is not really fasting.  Fasting is doing without in order to do.  So miss a meal to spend more time in prayer and the Word.  Or don't watch TV to spend more time in prayer and the Bible.  This is a big emphasis of Lent.

Prayer.  I don't pray enough.  And I pray a lot.  I want to get more intentional about praying and prayer times.  Oddly enough, that is an emphasis of Lent.

Time in the Word.  Mimi and I read our chapter every morning.  I really don't know if that is part of Lent or not.  I think so for some reason, but not sure why;

The cross.  I love the fact that Jesus and God love me.  Enough to do the cross.  I like Easter because it is a great time to start Jesus conversations.  I like when much of the world is thinking about Jesus.  And that is what Lent points to.

Jesus was raised from the dead.  We ought to be ready for his return.  Much of the emphasis of Lent is to be ready for that.

Dust to dust.  This life is not it.  This body doesn't last.  But I will live forever.  But I don't do Ash Wednesday since Jesus made such a point about doing these kind of things where no one notices.

So I don't do Lent.

Except when I do.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?