Thursday, March 07, 2024

 

Jesus, the Poor, and Government Assistance

 It is political season.  Many Christians not only exercise their American right to vote, but they try to tell me how Jesus wants me to vote (and it is always the way they vote).  They wrap their politics in religious sounding terms.  And I think many of them believe it.

Here is one example.  Jesus cares about poor people.  Christians should help poor people.  Many politicians promise to help poor people.  Some actually enact programs intended to help the poor.  So if I am a Christian, so of course I must vote for "fill in the blank".

I actually agree with much of that thinking.  Jesus cares about the poor (and the rich).  As a Christian, I should care too.  Feed the hungry.  Care for the sick.  And if government programs do that ...

But here are a few reasons why I do not think government programs -- or voting for candidates based on poverty programs -- are part of my Christian response to the poor in this world.

I would rather help the poor directly.  The less the government takes, the more I have to give.  I am not sure how effective government programs are, tho we certainly get whatever assistance we can for those in our community of faith.  I think it is better when I give to those I know and can directly help.  Of course, this assumes we will all give generously to those in need.

It is better to connect personally with people.  There is an emotional connection that matters.  Dignity matters.  The ability to have a conversation matters.  I may even have the opportunity to share Jesus with people.  Again, this only happens if you actually interact with people.  And if you actually share Jesus.

But here is the big one for me.  I want Jesus and God to get the glory/credit/praise for any help given.  I do not want the resources I have being used for the glory and praise of the government or any politician.  I want to help in the name of Jesus.   

I am always thankful when people are helped.  If God wants to use the government to do that, well... that is certainly His business.  But I just don't see working in earthly kingdoms as fullfilling my real Kingdom responsibility.

And this is what I think today.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?